Making the decision to chase your dreams can be a frightening one. Making large changes to your life and how you live it is never easy, but by breaking the path to your dreams down into manageable goals, you can make the transition a much easier one. Achieving your dreams is possible, you just need a good plan.
1.Break your dreams down into an action statement.
It may be difficult to lock down exactly what your dreams are, but you will need to be able to set them in stone in order to devise a plan that helps you achieve them. Sit down with a pen and paper and make a list of what you want out of life. Then use that list to create a singular mission statement.
- Try to narrow your dreams down to one solid statement that encompasses the change you want to make in your life.
2. Assess your current situation.
Now that you have identified your overarching goal, you need to determine what skills you have that can help you accomplish it, what sacrifices you are willing to make, and how much you may need to risk.
- Think about the skills you will need to achieve your dream; do you currently possess them or will you need further training or education?
- Try to determine a ballpark figure for how much your dream will cost to pursue. If your dream is to open a business your budget requirements may be much higher than if your dream is to learn to play the guitar.
- Depending on the scope of your dream, you may be a long way away from being a position to achieve them, but don’t get discouraged; a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
3. Identify the obstacles preventing you from chasing your dreams.
You probably face challenges in your life that can directly affect your ability to pursue your dreams. Assess those challenges and consider what sacrifices you are willing to make to overcome them.
- Money is the most common limitation when it comes to chasing dreams. You may need to wait for some time in order to Save Money, or you may have things you are willing to sell in pursuit of your goals.
- Other limitations may include job security, having time, or a lack of skills or training.
- Make a list of possible solutions for each problem you come up with.
4. Make a list of goals associated with achieving your dreams.
This step will provide you with the basic framework of your plan moving forward. Start by establishing a few broad goals, then identify a few smaller goals within each one. Some examples could be:
- If your dream is to open a restaurant, your first goal could be to learn to cook. Within than goal, sub-goals may be to attend culinary school,
- If your dream is to become a musician, your first goal could be to perform a live show, with a sub-goal of purchasing the amp and other equipment necessary for a concert.
5. Complete your plan.
Now that you have identified your goals and the obstacles you face, it’s time to establish your plan to chase your dreams. Create a step by step list of what you need to accomplish in order to put yourself in position to achieve your dreams.
- Start with the very first task you will need to complete. It may be to begin saving enough money for your next step, or it could be to start looking into necessary training or education programs.
- Use your goals and sub-goals to guide your checklist, so that by the time you have it completed, you will have reached your ultimate goal.
6. Start completing the tasks on your checklist.
With each task that you complete, you are one step closer to accomplishing your goals and living your dreams. Some steps may take much longer than others, and you may be able to complete more than one at once. Use the checklist to keep you task oriented and on track.
- Make a commitment to yourself to complete the tasks on your list within certain periods of time.
- If you find yourself having trouble focusing on the task at hand, investigate different ways to Get Motivated to get each step done.
7. Be a person of action.
It can be easy to remain in the planning stages for a long time. Eventually though, there will come a time when you need to start taking action and making your plan into a reality. Don’t allow yourself to fall into simply talking about your dreams, you must go after them.
- Make a habit of doing what you say you will do. Holding yourself to your word is not only a good habit, but it will translate into your personal pursuits.
- Imagine what your life will be like once you achieve your dreams and stay focused on what you are working for.
8. Don’t be afraid to let go.
One of the biggest challenges facing a person that chooses to pursue their dreams is the fear of the unknown. You can’t know if you will be successful in your pursuits, nor can you know what your standard of living will ultimately be like if you begin making sacrifices on the road to your dreams, but you can’t get to where you’re going without leaving where you are behind.
- You may eventually need to leave your job or move to a new area. These changes can be daunting, but they may be necessary in order to follow your dreams.
- You may need to give up on hobbies or spend less time with your family or friends as you work toward your goal. You will need to be able to accept that as you strive to accomplish each task.
9. Seek others that can help.
You may know people that are already working in the industry you hope to pursue, or maybe you have friends already living where you dream to move. These people can be valuable resources as you begin to take steps toward reaching your dreams.
- Network to find people with similar passions. They may be able to provide you with guidance or support as you continue along your checklist.
- Look to people that have already succeeded in the arena you dream of pursuing and model your efforts after theirs.
10. Don’t lose sight of your dream.
As you begin working toward achieving your dreams, you may find yourself losing your motivation in the drudgery of the day to day efforts. It’s important that you remember what you’re working for and what you’re working toward to remain productive.
- Use your checklist as a daily reminder of what you are working toward.
- Focus on where you will be once you have accomplished your goals and have successfully attained your dreams.
11. Be grateful to the those who support you.
When you receive help from someone in accomplishing your goals, make sure they know how much you appreciate their effort and assistance. People are more likely to help you again if you demonstrate your appreciation and you may find that showing gratitude leaves you feeling better about yourself as well.
- When someone goes out of their way to assist you, send them a thank you card or thank them in person as soon as you can.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for those that support you by telling them how grateful you are to have them by your side.
12. Change your plan as necessary.
You may find that some aspects of your plan need to be changed along the way. Maybe you’ll gain new information or need adjust the scope of your dream slightly as you come to have a better understanding of what it will entail. Don’t be afraid to adjust your goals as you pursue them to keep them attainable, realistic, and beneficial to your overall cause.
- If you find that a goal you listed is unnecessary or will inhibit your progress toward your dream, do away with it or adjust it until it would benefit you.
- Don’t be afraid to change any aspect of the plan necessary as long as it continues to point you in a beneficial direction.
13. Try to enjoy the process.
Don’t forget to live your life while pursuing your dreams. If you devote all of your time and energy to a singular cause, you may burn out and lose your momentum. Instead allow yourself to enjoy being with friends and family from time to time and try to devote yourself to a line of work you find satisfaction in.
- Remember that the journey is as important as the destination; allow yourself some time to enjoy life on a regular basis.
- Make your dream-chasing life a sustainable one, so even if you never accomplish everything you set out to do, you will still enjoy your life.
If you need help setting goals, please download my FREE workbook Goal setting Workbook
If I can help you with anything else please do contact me.
Join Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.